Have your Instagram posts plateaued? Did you know that Instagram posts with at least one hashtag average 12.6% more engagement than posts without a hashtag? The quality of a hashtag is extremely important but yet so often overlooked. Yes, hashtags are #everywhere. And in most cases, they are thrown into the content and not utilizing their true potential. Once known as a simple pound sign, the hashtag is a powerful tool that goes beyond aesthetics.
Although hashtags made their first appearance on Twitter in 2007, they are now flooding all major social media networks and are one of the most popular means of categorizing content on social media. While hashtags on all social networks have the same fundamental purpose of content tagging and discovery, the use of hashtags varies by network. The perfect hashtag, or combination of hashtags, will help your brand to reach large and targeted audiences. By taking time to focus on your hashtag strategy, your brand will be more discoverable on Instagram. In addition, you will have a better chance of attracting new followers, getting more likes, and increasing engagement.
Tips to help strengthen your hashtag strategy.
- Keep your hashtags relevant to your content. The narrower the scope of the hashtag, the more engaged the users are. By using irrelevant hashtags you will expose your post to spammers and unwanted followers.
- Instagram allows a maximum of 30 hashtags per post but that doesn’t mean you need to use that many. Aim for a number that will increase post visibility without diluting it.
- Be aware of the popular and trending hashtags and if relevant to your content use them sparingly. This will help drive more traffic to your post and increase your followers.
- Keep hashtags catchy, simple and easy for your followers to remember.
- Check the spelling again and again. When typing hashtags it’s easy to misspell. Keep a copy of your go-to hashtags in a saved file so you can easily copy and paste to avoid spelling errors.
Hopefully, these tips will help strengthen your hashtag strategy but if you still need some inspiration or even just a good laugh, check out this SNL skit with Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake.