So, what do we know about how Latinos use social media? Hispanics lead in the use of social media networking via a mobile device 49% v. 48% African Americans and 36% Whites. According to #latism survey, 61% of Latinos use social media for personal purposes, followed by business, self promotion and for doing social good.
The top three blogging topics are Latino Issues, 45%, folllowed by Social Good, Family and Education. A common thread among Latinos is their deep connection to their community and their faith in the power of blogging and social media as a tool for change. Education is described as a top Latino priority, followed by Health and Jobs.
According to Nielsen www.nielsen.com two pillars are changing the face of the Latino population:
- Demographic shifts– the unprecedented growth in the US – from 17% or 55 million US Latinos in 2015 projected to 31% or 128.8 million US Latinos in 2060.
- Technology transformation -Latinos are digitally connected. In total US Hispanic homes, 79% have a Smartphone vs. 70% non Hispanic. 37% of Hispanics own a laptop vs. 41% non Hispanic and 50% have a tablet vs. 53% non Hispanic. The smartphone is the all purpose device for texting, social networking, App usage, video, banking, GPS and shopping.
Most Popular Social Media Sites for Latino Women
By cultivating a community experience online, social media allows people to reconnect with their Latino culture.
Savvy marketers should be aware that Latinos want to be a part of the conversation by providing a space where mainstream issues can be discussed through a “Latino lens”
- Latinos wants more life style information written “for Latinos like me”
- Articles on parenting, education and politics written in Spanish
- Family advice
In order to connect with Latino consumers, marketers need to engage with a purpose and account for:
- The new Hispanic narrative
- Embedded role of technology
- Augment experience, empower to make an impact
For more information please see the following:
Leadership from a dancing guy http://youtu.be/h08MwBZI-Vc